You will need the Scheduling Admin permission to create new schedules. This permission also allows the user to delete an existing schedule.
An organizer on the schedule can edit the details of the schedule but will not be able to delete it or create new ones.
Creating a Volunteer Schedule
There are multiple ways you can add a new volunteer schedule to One Church Software. The first is to click on the "New" drop down menu at the top of any page, and click on "Volunteer Schedule."
The other way is to go to "More > Serving > Schedules" in the left hand navigation menu and click on the "Add New" button at the top.
Note: you can also create a volunteer schedule as part of a service plan. If you planning the order of service for your worship service, we recommend scheduling your volunteers within the service plan itself instead of creating a standalone schedule.
Regardless of which method you choose, a pop up will appear where you can enter the details for the schedule. The following fields are available:
- Name - this is the name of the schedule. It is generally recommended this include the ministry or department being schedule and perhaps the time period.
- Campus - optional. This is the campus this schedule is for. If the campus has services times defined, they will be imported into the "Times" section below.
- Organizer - organizers are responsible for the schedule and are included in the volunteer requests that go out. Organizers also have admin access to the schedule itself. This defaults to the user creating the schedule.
- Date Range - schedules can be created for multiple weeks at the same time. It defaults to the current week only.
- Times - enter any service times and other special times such as pre-service, post-service times, rehearsals, etc. This will be repeated for each week in the range above. For each time, the weekday, start time and end time are required. If no name is provided, it will default to "Service." To add another time, click on the "add another..." button.
Once you are finished, click on "Save" to create the schedule. You will be redirected to the schedule week selection screen.
Schedule Week Selection
Upon entering the schedule, you will see a list of all the weeks the schedule spans.
Clicking on "View All Weeks" will open all weeks on the schedule. You can also just check the weeks you want to edit. The "View All Weeks" text will change based on the number of weeks you chose. Once finished, you can click on the button to view only those weeks.
Each week contains the week number as well as the date range. Below that is a summary of how many volunteer assignments are pending, needed, or accepted.
If you need to delete a week from the schedule, you can do so by opening the cog dropdown menu at the end of the week and selecting "Remove Week".
If you would like to bring back a removed week, just click on "show x removed weeks" button. This will show all removed weeks. Then click on "Add again" to bring it back.
The actions menu on this screen has the following options:
- Edit schedule details - brings up the edit pop up window. From here you can change the same fields as when you first created the schedule except you will not be able to add or remove weeks. If you need more weeks, you will need to create a new schedule.
- Add organizer - allows you to add another organizer to the schedule.
To remove an existing organizer, click on the X next to their name. There must always be at least one organizer, so no X will appear if there is a single organizer on the schedule.
Once you have selected one or more weeks to edit, the scheduler will appear. It is here where you can assign volunteers to the various needs across the selected weeks.
A volunteer schedule can be used to schedule one or more groups. The first step therefore is to add at least one group. This can be done by either clicking on "+ Add a group" in the scheduler area, or under the Actions menu.
Regardless of which method you choose, a pop up will appear where you can specify the group to add.
Search for the group to add at the top. Once selected, all positions defined on that group will appear. You can add new positions by clicking on the "Add New Position" button at the bottom. Any new positions added here will also appear in the "Positions" within the associated group.
Next, for each time slot, indicate how many volunteers you need for each position. By default, the values for the row will update together. If you want each time slot to have a different value, uncheck the "Link?" option.
The eye icon next to each input box indicates whether you allow other users to browse and sign themselves up for this volunteer need. See this article for more information.
Once you are finished, click "Save" to add the group to the schedule. Once added, each needed position will appear in a grid under each week.
Hovering over a particular cell will cause some elements to appear.
Click on the green "+" sign to increase the need or the red "-" to decrease the need. The numbers to the right show how many volunteers are scheduled over how many are needed.
Clicking on "+ add volunteers" opens a pop up where you can search for and add volunteers to the schedule. The pop up is separated into three tabs:
- Available - shows all the volunteers for this position who are available to serve on that day. Their preference (1st, 2nd, 3rd) is shown as well
- Unavailable - if there are any unavailable volunteers (i.e. blocked out the date), they will appear here
- Add New Person - this tab will allow you to add a person who is not on the group roster for that position. If you would like to add them to the roster, check the "Add to roster?" box. Once you add the volunteer to the schedule, they will be added to the group roster and assigned the position they were just scheduled for. If the box is not checked, they will not be added to the roster and will be treated as a one time volunteer for that position.
Once added to the schedule, hovering over a volunteer will cause three dots to appear to their right. This will also highlight the volunteer to help know who the dots are related to. Click on this to open a context menu where you have the following options:
- View Profile - opens the person's profile in a new tab
- Change Status - change their response on the assignment (i.e. accept, decline)
- Remove - removes the volunteer from that time slot and position in the schedule.
Once a volunteer is in the grid, you can click and drag the volunteer to another position to copy them over. You can also click and drag the position name to drag the entire team to another cell. This really helps speed up assignment; specifically if you are copying volunteers from one week to another.
Managing Scheduled Group
Hovering over a group under a specific week in the scheduler will make three dots appear to the right of the name. This context menu provides the following actions:
- Edit notes - attach notes to the group for that week. All accepted volunteers will be able to read the notes.
- Send email - send an email to all volunteers that week. You can toggle exactly who to send to in the resulting pop up.
- View files - allows you to upload files for that week. All accepted volunteers will be able to download these files.
- Edit needs - edit the need for that week in bulk. This is the same pop up that appears when you first added the group to the schedule.
- Remove group - removes the group from the scheduler. This will also remove any volunteers under that group. Important: removing a group will remove it from all weeks on the schedule.
Notifying Volunteers and Responding
Once you have added all the volunteers you wanted to the schedule, it is time to send them requests. This will give them an opportunity to either accept or decline the assignment. To begin, click on the blue "Send Requests" button in the upper right area. A pop up will appear where you can specify who to send the requests to.
It defaults to all volunteers on the currently visible weeks who have not been contacted, but you can change the settings to target differently. You also have the option to send them a text message in addition to the email. Please note, per message data rates apply. If you account runs out of funds, no text message will be sent.
Once the requests are sent, regardless of whether it is from the email or text message, there will be a link to the request. From there, they will be able to accept or decline each individual assignment. If declining, they have the option to give a reason. This reason will appear on the schedule as a "comment" icon next to the person.
As people respond, the dot next to their name in the grid will change colors:
- Red - the assignment has been declined.
- Yellow - a response is pending. The request has been sent and no response provided yet.
- Green - the assignment has been accepted.
You can filter volunteers by response by clicking on the appropriate color in the "Assignment Overview" box in the right column.
Once there are enough accepted assignments to equal the number of volunteers needed for a position and time slot, the entire cell will turn green. This visually indicates that the need is 100% met for that position and time slot.
- Accepted assignments will appear on the volunteers dashboard when they sign in as well as on the event calendar ("Events" in the left hand navigation menu).
- You can mark a need as "public" to allow any user to sign themselves up to serve. See this article for more information.