Access to specific groups are determined by a combination of access limits, the membership within the group, and user's permissions (in that order). We'll go over each one in detail below.
1. Access Limits
First, limits on group category, type and campus are checked to see if the user can even see the group. If they are allowed, then the user's membership within the group is used to determine if they can access the group.
Note: group administrators always have access to their group even if access limits otherwise would have prevented access. The only exception is the campus limit as in that case, the administrator cannot access their group if the group is in a campus they do not have access to.
Group admins have full access to all group tabs as well as edit general group information (except name).
Next, the user's membership within the group is checked.
- Member, Leader, and other types - has access to the group only if the group is active and the group membership type is not "Internal."
If the user is not a member of the group, the user's permissions determine access.
The final check on whether the user has access to the group is to look at their permissions. This is only done if the user is not a member of the group.
Full Read Groups
- Has read-only access to all groups in the system. This includes internal groups as well.
- Has access to change logs related to groups, group members, and group positions.
- Can view group listing in table view.
Limited Write Groups
Users with this permission also have the Full Read Groups permission. This is the same access a group administrator has within their group.
- Can add, edit, and delete group members
- Can add, edit, and delete attendance reports
- Can add, edit, and delete group calendar events.
- Can add, assign, edit, delete group positions
- Can add, edit, and delete volunteer schedules
- Can upload and delete group files
- Can start group discussions
- Can delete group discussion threads and messages
- Cannot edit group details
- Cannot delete groups
- Can add a person to a group roster from the person's profile (Involvement > Groups)
Full Write Groups
Users with this permission also have the Full Read Groups and Limited Write Groups permission.
- Can edit group details
- Can copy/duplicate an existing group (must also have Create Groups permission)
- Can delete groups
- Can add a person to any group roster during manual check-in
- Can add, edit, and delete values from any drop down field
- Can edit and remove a person from a group from the person's profile (Involvement > Groups)
- Can create new groups
- Can copy/duplicate an existing group (must also have Full Write Groups permission)
- Can define custom fields on group types
- Can add, edit, and delete custom field definitions on group members
Full Write Promotions
- Can add, edit, delete, and execute group promotion plans.
Full Read Discussions
- Can read discussion messages for all groups
Full Write Discussions
Users with this mission also have the Full Read Discussions permission.
- Can create, edit, and delete discussion messages for all groups.